Skip to main content

OVM's strange architecture

Obviously I do not run a major Oracle-based OVM data center. So for real-life large enterprises this is not an issue.

However image the following: you have a machine on which you want to run Oracle VM Server.
Installation of the OVM is straightforward and pretty easy.

Now you end up with a piece of equipment that does exactly NOTHING.

Nothing? Yup. Well you can start it and you get a Linux prompt, and that is pretty much it.

In comes the Oracle VM Manager. It dances, it talks, it does the wash and it walks the dog - and it can be yours for 99.99$ ;-)

Seriously, in order to get anything useful to be done with the OVM Server you need the manager. Now there is a small design flaw. Setting up the OVM Manager requires an extra machine. This can be a Virtualbox image, another machine in your network or even a guest on your Oracle VM Server.

Now the last seems to be appealing. Normally in such an environment I would like to have the controlling software on the box that I control (with the option to move it elsewhere when I grow and buy  a second box).

Unfortunately before you can place an image on the OVM Server you need to configure it - meaning you install the OVM Manager on a different platform.

Seem awkward. How about an installation option that would create the Dom0 on the (first) OVM Server and that would bring a OVM Manager with it? It is not there. Pity!

So I downloaded a Virtualbox template with the OVM Manager.

This did not work. The internet told me that this was due to a mismatch of the passwords of the OVM Agent. Changed the password - no success.

Now I am in the process to create my own Virtualbox image with OEL6 and install an OVM Manager 3.3.1.

Let's see how this works out.

UPDATE: It seems to work now (see also next post).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Different silent install files WLS 10.3.2 and 10.3.3

Today I tried to cut some corners and use a silent.xml file for WLS 10.3.3 for a silent installation of 10.3.2. To my amazement on a clean machine I received the following error: oracle@xxx001:/opt/oracle$ java -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/oracle/tmp -jar /nfsstage/wls1032_generic.jar -mode=silent -silent_xml=./silent/wls_silent.xml -log=/tmp/wls.log Extracting 0%....................................................................................................100% The local BEA product registry is corrupted. Please select another Middleware Home or contact Oracle Support I checked the wls_silent.xml file and found that it includes Coherence, which was not bundled with the 10.3.2 version. So I modified the 10.3.3 silent_xml file from value="WebLogic Server/Core Application Server|WebLogic Server/Administration Console|WebLogic Server/Configuration Wizard and Upgrade Framework|WebLogic Server/Web 2.0 HTTP Pub-Sub Server|WebLogic Server/WebLogic JDBC Drivers|WebLogic Server/Third ...

Unpacking Oracle cpio for AIX

When extracting a cpio file with Oracle software from OTN on AIX you might encounter the following problem: oracle@mymachine-app:/install/oracle/MRCA>cpio -idmv cpio: 0511-903 Out of phase! cpio attempting to continue... cpio: 0511-904 skipping 642010 bytes to get back in phase! One or more files lost and the previous file is possibly corrupt! Segmentation fault The solution is to use the option -idcmv oracle@mymachine-app:/install/oracle/MRCA>cpio -idcmv c Reads and writes header information in ASCII character form. If a cpio archive was created using the c flag, it must be extracted with c flag.

Oracle VirtualBox - first (short) impressions

I am using Oracle VirtualBox now since a couple of weeks in order to establish if it can replace my VMWare Server. I want to put down a couple of quick impressions - which will hopefully be followed up by some more insight. Speed: It seems that Oracle VirtualBox is faster than the VMWare Server. Creating an image as well as starting it up and shutting it down are pretty fast. However if your machine is pushing the limits on memory the shutdown process of an image can easily take 5 minutes. FAT/NTFS: I have not yet found the possibility to create a disk file in chunks of 2GB. VMWare offered this OOTB. Now when I move my image from my Windows7 NTFS filesystem to the FAT external disk it complains about a 20GB file. More research is needed here. Distributing images: I copied the images and gave them to some colleagues during several trainings. My experience is that the different laptops we use are not handled well by VirtualBox. E.g. I had to remove a network from the vbox-file in order t...