Skip to main content

Flashback Recovery Area full

Ok, I promise I will take more time to read things like manuals and other documents when it comes to new features in the database.

Take the Flashback Recovery Area (FRA). Oracle does store archive logs in there, which is cool as it speeds up the recovery. The bad thing is that the Oracle Database behaves like a small child. When you do not look it will do strange things.

So I was busy setting up the online backup of an infrastructure database. This one is still in 10.1.x while all the others in this environment are on 10.2.x .
For the RMAN I have a catalog (also 10.2.x) so I had some problems with the versions as the 10.1.x database refused to get into the 10.2.x RMAN catalog. I thought that I have plenty of space for the archivelogs in the ASM (everything was RAC of course).

I turned my attention to some other issues (aka not watching your kid for a moment). Then during an important demo for the client a developer told me that he cannot use the OID.

Of course I checked, but the OID was running, and the database was running as well (ps -ef | grep smon) . Ok, a quick look at the alert.log showed that the database was struggeling with ORA-19815. Apparently the archive log destination was full.
I checked with the ASM which I had cleaned up a day before. Still 30% free?!?!

Metalink revealed that the FRA was full. Now Oracle has done everything to shield the FRA from direct access. This means that I had to get rid of the archivelogs in the FRA with RMAN.
However I still wanted to use the available catalog. Finally I decided to have one backup with RMAN (10.1.x) without the catalog. As the database was already in limbo I went to some drastic measures:

- shutdown abort
- startup
- shutdown immediate
- startup mount
- alter database flashback off;
- alter database open;

Then I tried to set the db_recovery_files_dest_size to a lower value in order to trigger the cleanup process.

- alter system set db_recovery_files_dest_size=1G scope=both;

I also changed the db_flashback_retention_target from 1440 minutes t 120 minutes.

- alter system set db_flashback_retention_target=120 scope=both;


Obviously this did not help because the v$recovery_file_dest still showed that I had 0 bytes of reclaimable_space and 267 files in the FRA.

So now I took the non-catalog RMAN with a deletion of the archive logs. When doing this the FRA is cleaned up as well.

So everything was working again and nobody in the demo was aware of this (the infra is just used for some specific logins that were not used).

Conclusion: Databases behave like little kids, always be aware what they are doing. Fortunately there are manuals for the Database ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Different silent install files WLS 10.3.2 and 10.3.3

Today I tried to cut some corners and use a silent.xml file for WLS 10.3.3 for a silent installation of 10.3.2. To my amazement on a clean machine I received the following error: oracle@xxx001:/opt/oracle$ java -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/oracle/tmp -jar /nfsstage/wls1032_generic.jar -mode=silent -silent_xml=./silent/wls_silent.xml -log=/tmp/wls.log Extracting 0%....................................................................................................100% The local BEA product registry is corrupted. Please select another Middleware Home or contact Oracle Support I checked the wls_silent.xml file and found that it includes Coherence, which was not bundled with the 10.3.2 version. So I modified the 10.3.3 silent_xml file from value="WebLogic Server/Core Application Server|WebLogic Server/Administration Console|WebLogic Server/Configuration Wizard and Upgrade Framework|WebLogic Server/Web 2.0 HTTP Pub-Sub Server|WebLogic Server/WebLogic JDBC Drivers|WebLogic Server/Third ...

Unpacking Oracle cpio for AIX

When extracting a cpio file with Oracle software from OTN on AIX you might encounter the following problem: oracle@mymachine-app:/install/oracle/MRCA>cpio -idmv cpio: 0511-903 Out of phase! cpio attempting to continue... cpio: 0511-904 skipping 642010 bytes to get back in phase! One or more files lost and the previous file is possibly corrupt! Segmentation fault The solution is to use the option -idcmv oracle@mymachine-app:/install/oracle/MRCA>cpio -idcmv c Reads and writes header information in ASCII character form. If a cpio archive was created using the c flag, it must be extracted with c flag.

Oracle VirtualBox - first (short) impressions

I am using Oracle VirtualBox now since a couple of weeks in order to establish if it can replace my VMWare Server. I want to put down a couple of quick impressions - which will hopefully be followed up by some more insight. Speed: It seems that Oracle VirtualBox is faster than the VMWare Server. Creating an image as well as starting it up and shutting it down are pretty fast. However if your machine is pushing the limits on memory the shutdown process of an image can easily take 5 minutes. FAT/NTFS: I have not yet found the possibility to create a disk file in chunks of 2GB. VMWare offered this OOTB. Now when I move my image from my Windows7 NTFS filesystem to the FAT external disk it complains about a 20GB file. More research is needed here. Distributing images: I copied the images and gave them to some colleagues during several trainings. My experience is that the different laptops we use are not handled well by VirtualBox. E.g. I had to remove a network from the vbox-file in order t...